Tribute South West 1 – West

North Petherton 13 – Weston-super-Mare 29

Saturday 21st November 2015

Report By Simon Freeman

An important game for both teams but different reasons saw Weston run out victors despite the best efforts of Petherton who again created numerous opportunities but were unable to show enough composure.

Captains comments (Damian Griffin) “It seems to be the same old story, we put in a lot of hard work but have nothing to show for it! We tried to play rugby and gifted two interceptions which counted for 12 points. They had a strong set of forwards and we did our best to keep it away from them!! I was pleased with us defensively apart from the obvious. We tried a few positional changes which worked well and now its a case of sticking to it. I couldn’t have asked for much more from the guys on the pitch it was just unfortunate our mistakes cost us so dearly. We will continue to work hard!

A lively game with Weston making a dream start after an interception try from just outside their 22 saw George Sparks run in their first try. Weston held supremacy in the forwards and made Pethy battle for possession. Weston extended the lead with two penalties from Lomax to move the the score 0-11.

On 20 minutes Pethy found some fluidity and moved the ball swiftly only to be met with some resolute defending, Weston crept offside and Harry Roberts converted 3-11.

Pethy shifted up a gear and after a strong break from Gavin Hancock opposite winger Mike Stevens picked up the ball 60 metres out to sprint clear and beat the last man to score in the corner. (8-11). However, the good work was spoilt as immediately Pethy gave away another penalty, Lomax converted (8-14). Pethy regrouped and some strong drives from the forwards put Pethy in striking distance and a quick tap penalty by Jack Kohler who powered his way over. (13-14)

History repeated itself as Weston again scored straight after but this time a try from Webb converted by Lomax.

The second half was similar to the first with both team having opportunities but Weston being more clinical. The tackling was solid from both teams and in the freezing conditions both teams still managed to throw the ball around!

Weston put more breathing space between the sides with another penalty but Pethy still created chances, but regrettably, dropped balls halted any momentum. In the last few minutes Weston scored their final try to close the game out 13-29.