Tribute South West 1 – West

North Petherton 35 – Avonmouth Old Boys 22

Saturday 7th November 2015

Report By Simon Freeman

Pethy broke their duck for this season with a bonus point victory through hard work and team work. After an even first half Pethy used the elements to maximise opportunities to get over the line. The defending in the last ten minutes typified the spirit and importance of the victory.

Injured captains comments (Damian) “We set ourselves goals for the next few weeks and the win has put us on the right track! We know we have been scoring but our defence has been poor so to keep a good Avonmouth team out at the end was credit to the lads! Its very frustrating for me to watch whilst I’m still injured but watching the boys battle like that makes it easier!!

The blustery conditions influenced tactics with the visitors having first use of the wind. Pethy created the first opportunities but were pulled back for two forward passes from promising positions. Avonmouth played their way back in to the game and created the extra man and scored a well worked try through Rhys Merideth, converted by Joe Wearne.

Pethy responded with a couple of sharp breaks from Jon Gallagher and Jack Kohler to pin the visitors back which allowed Dominik Griffin to switch play for a clever kick to be placed behind the retreating visitors defence, winger Mike Stevens pounced to dive over, Harry Roberts converted (7-7).

Both teams had chances but he remainder of the first half became a midfield battle until in the dying moment when the official awarded the visitors a penalty try to retake the lead 7-14

The second half began with Pethy playing at quicker tempo which stretched the visitors. The forwards began to find success around the breakdown and after a couple of short lineout drives an explosive break from Sam Williams who bulldozed his way over the line and skilfully managed to twist and dot the ball down, Roberts converted (14-14)

The momentum shifted in Pethy’s favour and within a couple of minutes Pethy had worked their way out of defence from their own half and an individual break from Roberts saw him go half the length of the pitch for a fine score. He also kicked the conversion (21-14).

Pethy began to play some composed rugby, keeping possession and making their tackles with Aiden Cotton, Carl Brown, Matt Hastie all working tirelessly around the park. The visitors who defended well all afternoon continued to make Pethy work hard and after a short side break from Simon Gingell and Dan Morgan the ball was in the hands of Gavin Hancock who worked hard on the opposite wing to score. Roberts converted (28-14).

The visitors turned the table and began to exert their own pressure and force a penalty for Wearne to slot over to narrow the gap.

As the game entered the last ten minutes Mac Taylor forced a turnover and after a clever chip from Olly James, Hancock was quickest to respond and steal the ball to score near the posts, Roberts converted.

The last try belonged to the visitors after a pinpoint cross field kick was kept in by the winger at full stretch and released the full back to catch and dive over.